Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

I have grown up having two dreams which I distinctly remember. One to have an aircraft of mine in which I will take the entire family on appa & amma's side together (then the count was 51) on a world tour and the next one was (and somewhere is) to make enough money to be able to help alleviate poverty.


Well as they say some dreams become reality while others remain dreams...Am I working towards realising the above said dreams? To be honest I don't think so...coz since the time I had these dreams my life has changed a lot...for starters grew up finished my education and joined the rat race. Once I got in today 12 years later I feel like the nothing has changed...yeah I'm on paper doing much better...married, decent salary and profile etc etc but then inflation, cost of living and expectations have ensured to balance it completely!


Going back to my 'original' dreams...especially the second one. Though I want to alleviate poverty I have never been for giving alms for beggars unless they are really really old people...though well aware that sometimes even with them the money may reach somebody else. I am not attached to any of the NGOs or the CSR initiatives coz I think they are more for PR etc. I once did some donations to Greenpeace but then I realised that's not enough. So I just stopped.



I'm a very emotional person! Sometimes looking at the state of affairs around me brings tears in my eyes. And this is what exactly happened yesterday. I had just finished a working lunch and was stepping out of the restaurant when I saw a very old man probably in his early 70s crouching under a lamp post in scorching heat trying to sell some mangoes. I dunno why but rather immediately my eyes swelled! For a second I thought of buying him lunch. But then I thought it may still not help him. Walking upto him I asked about the price with the initial idea of buying a few. His eyes swell up and he was not even able to speak properly. He requested me to but a couple of kilos which would cost Rs.100. Speaking to myself for a second I said 'Carnic...here is one of those little chances for you to alleviate an old needy man of his misery...of selling mangoes in the searing heat'. Convinced about the action I immediately asked him and bought the whole basket of mangoes. While I have heard enough cases of these being acts to con you, I was convinced that it would not be the case with what I was doing.

I was happy...really really happy as I carried a whole lot of mangoes in a couple of bags back to my workplace. I also knew my wife would be surprised but happy at my act.

What do you call it? Random act of kindness? I don't know...rather don't care about what you would call it and what people would think about it. What mattered to me was that I was able to bring a smile on somebody's face through my gesture which in turn made me happy.

As of my dreams...well am working on them!!!!

6 comments:

Anandh Raghavan said...

U actually made some one happy and that soul at that time will for sure wished u .... keep up the spirit.... ur action makes others realise or construct. Their dream wisely....

Bagdevi Mishra said...

That's a real act of kindness.. people sometime dream of doing something big for the society or the world and keep ignoring the small small issues while waiting for doing big. But if many will start doing such small acts of kindness, that will actually brings a huge positive change to our sociaty.

Ramya Ranganathan said...

Hi,

Not sure how I landed up here..

This scene I have seen in many Tamizh cinemas, but wondered if in real life such a scene would happen. Now I am extremely happy you did it. :):)

Buying a lunch , I think he would not have accepted , what you did was real act of kindness.. !!

All the best and congrats for completing 12 yrs !

Kavi said...

what people do or think is none of our business ! i am so glad that you did what you did. it doesnt go a long distance i alleviating poverty, but then it goes the full distance in filling someone with hope !

That all is not lost and there are people around that care ! Keep this up !

This redefines what is possible for very many souls !

Carnic said...

Anandh, Bags, Kavi thanks. Ramya welcome to my blog and thanks for your comments.

Meena Chabbria said...

I have always believed in one thing however we are with or without money we always have something within us many of us don't actually find it but its our basic quality and come what may it never changes ....i totally agree with you when most of us are busy in our daily life you took some time thinking of an old man and that is a great deed...